Monday, June 2, 2008

Pre-Planning the ePortfolio

The ePortfolio that I will be creating for this class will be my first, and as such I am making it generalized (but I guess it will be catered towards athletic and academic achievements). My portfolio will be catered towards friends and peers who want to get to know a little bit more about me and what I have accomplished. This ePortfolio could also be a premature version of a portfolio that is designed for college admissions programs or private diving clubs who may require an admissions process. I will be presenting my portfolio via a website, which seems to be almost universally accessible. This will be the easiest I think because I will be able to design a simple layout that can accommodate the various aspects of my portfolio. My idea is to have a home page that describes a little bit about my background and maybe a few pictures so that the audience can put a face to it all. The webpage would contain tabs at the top, which would direct the audience to pages specific to certain subjects (one might link to a sports page, one would link to an academic page). These new pages would then be broken down further (sports: gymnastics and diving. Academic: Foothill, High School, etc). This would provide a simple and easy to navigate page for the audience.

The evidence I will be using will depend on which subject I am discussing. For athletics, such as diving, I am planning on compiling a quick video (note-also my video enhancement) showing a few of my dives from a one meter springboard. I could then post this video on you tube and link it to my website. This would be a good artifact, because video is one of the most compelling ways to convince an audience of your abilities. For school, I will definitely be incorporating transcripts themselves, to show my grades, as well as some of my most prized scholarly works (such as essays and projects). This would allow my audience to evaluate my work for themselves by reading it first hand, as well as seeing what my teachers thought about my work via transcripts.

Potential evaluators will obviously be Professor Lankford, possibly a college or diving team if I am trying to gain acceptance to a club. Other evaluators might be my peers, my family, and certain employers). I will evaluate my work by posting updates of evidence such that I can track my progress over time. For example, by comparing diving videos from two different seasons, I can visually see and interpret how much progress I have made in the past year. With academic records, I can compare GPA’s and the quality of work contained in essays etc.

For the timeline: I think I can put together a video and gather transcripts during week 9. I can then begin to design a website during week 10. Week eleven I will be compiling my evidence together onto the webpage as well as making finishing aesthetic touches.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. I like these connect-the-dots portfolios because I learn lots about you I didn't know -- like diving.